Re: gEDA-user: Schematic import (was "why separate xgsch2pcb?")

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 08:14:42 -0500 (EST)
Stuart Brorson <sdb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There is a bug in the git version of PCB.  If you put your newlib
> footprints in a directory, the library import stuff can't find them.
> The library import stuff looks in *subdirectories* of your footprint
> directory.   This has to do with the way the importer works, as well
> asl how the library data inside PCB is structured.
>
> If you want to use the git stuff, put your footprints in a directory
> *under* ~/GEDA/www/user/vanessa_ezekowitz/footprints/ (example:
> ~/GEDA/www/user/vanessa_ezekowitz/footprints/myfootprints).
>
> I've been fiddling with creating a fix for this, but it's slow going
> since I need to learn about how PCB itself works.

I ran into this a while back too, which is why I use a symlink.

In actuality, PCB is configured to look in /home/vanessa/Footprints.  Contained within that directory is a symlink named "Custom", which points to /home/vanessa/GEDA/www/user/vanessa_ezekowitz/footprints , where the actual footprint files reside.

Without it, I'd see "vanessa_ezekowitz" as my top level, and "symbols", "footprints", "attic" and "CVS" under that.  This way, PCB just shows "Footprints -> Custom" and I don't have to disturb the layout of my repository. :-)

At any rate, PCB's Library dialog can find and use the files just fine, it's just the Import function that doesn't.

--
"There are some things in life worth obsessing over.  Most
things aren't, and when you learn that, life improves."