Re: gEDA-user: Schematic import (was "why separate xgsch2pcb?")

On Feb 21, 2010, at 5:47 AM, Vanessa Ezekowitz wrote:

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 08:14:42 -0500 (EST)
Stuart Brorson <sdb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There is a bug in the git version of PCB.  If you put your newlib
footprints in a directory, the library import stuff can't find them.
The library import stuff looks in *subdirectories* of your footprint
directory.   This has to do with the way the importer works, as well
asl how the library data inside PCB is structured.

If you want to use the git stuff, put your footprints in a directory
*under* ~/GEDA/www/user/vanessa_ezekowitz/footprints/ (example:
~/GEDA/www/user/vanessa_ezekowitz/footprints/myfootprints).

I've been fiddling with creating a fix for this, but it's slow going
since I need to learn about how PCB itself works.

I ran into this a while back too, which is why I use a symlink.

In actuality, PCB is configured to look in /home/vanessa/ Footprints. Contained within that directory is a symlink named "Custom", which points to /home/vanessa/GEDA/www/user/ vanessa_ezekowitz/footprints , where the actual footprint files reside.

Without it, I'd see "vanessa_ezekowitz" as my top level, and "symbols", "footprints", "attic" and "CVS" under that. This way, PCB just shows "Footprints -> Custom" and I don't have to disturb the layout of my repository. :-)

At any rate, PCB's Library dialog can find and use the files just fine, it's just the Import function that doesn't.

Two thoughts.

what is the exact config line you used? did you put in ~/Footprints or /home/vanessa/Footprints, I am wondering if the importer is not decoding the ~

Out of curiosity, if you were to temporarily make a copy of the contents of /home/vanessa/GEDA/www/user/vanessa_ezekowitz/footprints to ~/GEDA/www/user/vanessa_ezekowitz/footprints/custom does it work. Is the importer not following soft links?

Steve