Re: gEDA-user: Re: Some pcb pecularities

On 1/18/07, Kai-Martin Knaak <kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:15:35 -0800, joeft wrote:

>>One end stays where it was and the other moves with the via - the
>>definition of rubber banding. Still, it's not what the user wants. This
>>is already an open bug on the SF tracker.
>>

> I think this is what the user wants - as long as it's the correct end of
> the correct line that is being moved.

Consider a corner below the via that happens to be made of two long legs and a short connection. If I move this via, I want the short segment to move too, rather than stretch. Only the long legs should be stretched. This kind of complicated track layout below a via is pretty common when working with different grids. In fact, it is difficult to avoid on a board that combines metric and imperial footprints.

I agree that that would be handy. I don't think this is correctly handled now because in some cases only one of the vertices of the short segment sill get selected. TO be unambiguous the UI should allow you to draw a box around the via and the short segment (including the two vertices at the ends of the short segment) and move the short segment and the via (while maintaining the connection). This is not what happens now.

- (1) With rubber band mode on, If you move the via without first
selecting it, the via moves, one vertex moves while staying connected
to both adjacent segments, and one vertex moves and tears the
connection apart to the adjacent long segment.  This is the problem as
I described yesterday.  I can happen whether or not you have mixed
grids or parts snapped off-grid (such as to a pin anchor point or part
centroid).  I can easily reproduce it when all vias and vertices are
on grid, as long as the grid spacing is on the order of the line
widths.  I believe it may be selecting the wrong vertices (or more
precisely line segment end points) because the length of the segment
is less than 2* line width.

- (2) With rubber band mode on. if you select the via first it just
moves the via, leaving the trace segments alone.  (This is ok)

- (3) With rubber band mode on, if you draw a box around the via which
includes the whole short segment (including its thickness/radius on
the ends) you move the via and the short segment.  This detaches the
short segment from the rest of the trace.  It is now floating and
still potentially hiding under the via.  While this is not very
useful, it is probably ok since it is consistent with the above case.

- With rubber band mode off, the behavior is the same in cases (2) and
(3) above as with rubber band mode on since the items were previously
selected.

Joe T

---<(kaimartin)>--- -- Kai-Martin Knaak http://lilalaser.de/blog