Re: gEDA-user: I need to open and print a PCB created in ExpressPCB:What are my options?

> Unfortunately space is at a premium in laser tag guns,

All the more reason to go with SMT :-)

> I'm not sure I'd even want to attempt an SMT board at home.
> Reflowing sounds a bit tricky.

You can solder them with an iron too, if the tip is small enough.  I
use either an iron or a reflow hotplate.  See
http://www.delorie.com/pcb/smd-challenge/

> One last question though: parts such as FETs tend to be sold by places like
> Mouser and Digi-Key in 1000 to 4000 unit groups. If I only need a few (3-6)
> MOSFETS, short of calling and asking for sample parts, what can I do?

They're available in "cut tape" too, usually in units of 1 to 20
parts.