Re: gEDA-user: gEDA on windows

On Jan 13, 2009, at 10:51 AM, Joerg wrote:

>> Sometimes I make up my mind on footprints later. Anything but a
>> single
>> place to change this information is an invitation to err.

Yes, indeed!

> That is why I am forcing myself never to switch a package in hindsight
> (which would be possible in Eagle). When I find I need to change a
> footprint, for example because the chosen one turns out to be a
> purchasing nightmare, I delete all those parts, check in the library
> whether there is another more available one and that its attributes
> are
> kosher, and then place it everywhere. Saves a lot of grief when the
> netlist is generated.

This common problem is one good reason to keep a directory of custom
symbols (which may start out as copies of library symbols) for each
project in gEDA.

So, in a flow that uses a project symbol directory, select an
instance in gschem, "Hs", edit the necessary attributes, "fs", and
you're done. All instances inherit the change unless you've
overridden the symbol attributes with promoted/attached attributes.

Of course, you have to suppress the default "promote everything
imaginable" with your gafrc before you draw, but again, that's the
genius of gEDA: you can do that easily.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx