Re: gEDA-user: Power (and other non-graphical) pins

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:53 AM, Joerg <joergsch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, because you guys don't have to pay 2-3c for each additional
> transistor or 5c per FET :-)

At least not for those working. :-)

> "But it'll electromigrate itself to death in less than a year" ... "It
> only has to live a couple of hours" ... "Oh".

Lucky you! In some of our circuits (mostly in RF blocks) getting the
layout electromigration clean was really painful. It's not only
because of the layout (although this stuff can grow pretty big) but
also performance - adding several fat connections with their
parasitics can kill otherwise carefully crafted circuit. The
verification method is also a major pain in ass. We have learned the
hard way to anticipate these problems early, and to employ various
sometimes non-obvious tricks to work them around. And that's only one
problem, what about decoupling, multiple power domains (for noise
filtering and for power-down functions), well biasing, voltage drops,
ringing and ESD protection?

Regards,
-r