Re: gEDA-user: Power (and other non-graphical) pins

John Doty wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2009, at 1:49 PM, Joerg wrote:
>
>> John Doty wrote:

>>> Of course. For building blocks at this level, that's entirely
>>> appropriate. It's when you build complex multichannel systems from
>>> these blocks that schematics become incomprehensible.
>>>
>> That's when we move over to block diagrams. Not just for chip designs,
>> also for large board level designs.
>
> Sure. But you can't extract a netlist from a block diagram. So, you
> need something more. Easy enough with gEDA, as I've demonstrated.

I can only speak for Orcad, but it does extract correct netlists from
block diagrams. Because behind each block is a full schematic. Or on
really fat designs another layer of blocks and then schematics.

>>> I think you're confusing wants and needs. It can do slotting just
>>> fine, but it can't read your mind.
>>>
>> They will be messed up upon renumbering. But who knows, someday it
>> might
>> get fixed.
>
> I wrote a one-shot AWK script to renumber a particular design using
> slotted parts once. It had a bunch of limitations, so I never
> submitted it. Using hierarchy to divide the design up works better,
> don't have tricky renumbering problems there.
>
> But remember, "fixed" for you probably means "broken" for somebody else.

Sure. As I said I just wanted to mention how a whole lot of other
engineers design. 100% of all my clients, to be exact.

>>> If you wanted to, you could no doubt solve it with a little scripting
>>> (I'm still not sure exactly what you want: I can't read your mind
>>> either). But you'd have to cross a line you've drawn. gEDA is for
>>> those who enjoy crossing such lines, I think.
>>>
>> Didn't draw a line, but I am not a programmer.
>
> That's the line. What makes you think you need to be a programmer to
> write programs?
>
> I'm not even an EE, I'm a physicist (at least that's what it says on
> my degrees). But whatever the job takes. Increasingly, design *is*
> programming. Software takes over from hardware as it can. Music
> synthesizers used to be racks of VCO's. Understanding when, where,
> and how to move that line is part of the job. Both in processes and
> products.

Same here. EE by degree, must currently double-up as optics, metallurgy
and mechanical stress analysis guy. Plus flooring guy. Wife said (since
early last year ...) that the lab/office floors are too banged up and
must be replaced. Flooring contractors said they won't do it unless I
clean out the lab. Which I can't because of ongoing client projects. So ...

>> Sure, I could figure it
>> out and somehow attempt to fix it but there are people in this
>> community
>> who could do that a lot better.
>
> The one who has the clearest vision of what the problem is is often
> the best fixer. That's one of the strengths of free software.

But when time is scarce one goes the path of least resistance until
there is more free time. Which for me right now has to be to stick with
the CAD I've got. Not optimal but works.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/