Re: gEDA-user: german article in the linux magazin online now

> > gschem and pcb havedifferent user interfaces, which you have to
> > learn.
>
> Yup.

I've wondered in the past.. would people (users / developers) object to
making the GTK HID for PCB more in line with gschem's GTK UI. (Or vica
versa)

I already ported a similar looking footprint selector (reusing some
code), and the file-quit dialog. Little things... like the message / log
window dialogs could be made more similar, and it might have an effect.

I'm not quite sure how we'd get round the key-bindings, but perhaps one
idea would be to ship two (or four) sets. PCB: (classic PCB / gEDA
like), or gEDA: (classic gEDA / PCB like). Clearly if we did this, a
brand new install ought to default to a coherent set.

I'd like to see shared code (or at least.. shared appearance) when we
come to sort out toolbar icons in gschem and PCB in the future.

If we had to nail down what it is about gEDA and PCB which make them
feel like different applications, what is it?

Keybindings? (those are the ones which trip me up moving between them)
Colours?
Grid style / behaviour as it zooms?
Zoom style? (about point / warp to centre)
Graphic style of toolbar icons?
Dialogs?
Menus?
Object selection styles?

Side note.. why doesn't the lack of anti-aliasing in PCB bug me like it
did in gschem?

Is it that text legibility in schematics is more important, and
schematics typically have narrower line features on screen?

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,