Re: gEDA-user: german article in the linux magazin online now

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 20:42 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > I've wondered in the past.. would people (users / developers) object
> > to making the GTK HID for PCB more in line with gschem's GTK UI. (Or
> > vica versa)
>
> Maybe we need a gschem HID for pcb?  ;-)

I had wondered in the past, however;

I'd hope it didn't end up carrying so much delta from the GTK HID as to
make it worthwhile. I'm not a great fan of having to maintain so many
GUIs, so unless there was something controversial (#ifdef might help),
I'd prefer to see a convergence between PCB's GTK HID and gschem, not a
fork of PCB's GTK HID.

On Saturday morning, I started to refactor some of my GL code to sit in
a common location where it (might) be usable by more HIDs. I explicitly
didn't want to commit GL support as a fork of the GTK HID (which is how
the code-base currently stands).

My intention is that it should eventually be merged as a conditional
compilation option for the GTK HID. Only the core drawing window +
drawing callback hooks need to be swapped for GL / GDK drawing.

Having done a little Xorg + Mesa + Compiz debugging recently, I've come
across some cool stuff which might make the GL rendering even better - I
think most machines will support some form of rendering to a texture -
which should allow me to sub-composite layers better, possibly avoiding
the stencil (which might be slow for some drivers).

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,