Re: gEDA-user: Text encodings [WAS: Re: Open GL survey (for PCB)]

> Does it do Latin-1, or does it do raw octet streams and you get
> whatever your font gives you with them

It does raw octet streams with glyph lookups.  It doesn't "support"
iso-latin-1 any more than it supports the cursor font, or zapf
digbats, or any other 8-bit font.

If you *happen* to give it an iso-latin-1 string and *happen* to give
it an iso-latin-1 font, you *happen* to get iso-latin-1 support.

> I'm not sure whether I think switching PCB's philosophy from octet
> strings to character strings would be a good move.  (I think it
> would be difficult to do, but that's a separate issue.)

I think it would make sense if we changed the way we managed fonts.
With our current "built-in font" scheme it doesn't make sense to
venture much past 7-bit support anyway.

UTF-8 character strings at least can be held in octet strings, stored
as such in otherwise-ascii files, etc.  That's the benefit of using
UTF-8 vs other multibyte encodings.