Re: gEDA-user: Any discussion about combining schematics and symbols into one file?

Hi --

> We have garchive in utilities,  it should suffice.
>
> i don't know it's current status,  but i though it's purpose was to
> make an archive of a project so that it could be "remade" or shared
> easily across many folks

Yes, that was the intent.  garchive is supposed to go through your
gEDA/gaf design and find all the sym files in your schematics.  Then
it creates a temporary directory into which is places the schematics,
all symbols used, and maybe a few other things (I forget).  I believe
it also puts a .gafrc into the directory which points to the sym
files.  Then it tars and zips the whole thing up.

It will also unzip and untar an archive.

It has some problems:

*  It's waaaaay out of date.  I wrote it 4 or 5 years ago and have not
touched it since.  I dunno if it will do the right thing with a design
done using a modern version of gEDA/gaf.

*  Its rules for finding .sym files are straightjacketed.  It uses its
own search for sym files written in Python.  If you don't have a plain
vanilla setup, it may not get the right sym files.  The fix is to change
it so that it calls the guile stuff to initialize the search paths.

*  It doesn't archive any files associated with PCB.

Cheers,

Stuart