Re: gEDA-user: taking issue with Symbol creation

On Jan 8, 2010, at 10:41 AM, phil wrote:

> John Doty wrote:
>> With the exception of slotted components, of course.
>
> So among pinnumber, pinlabel, and pinseq .... the symbol creator
> should
> make pinseq the visible attribute because it is this number that will
> get incremented by slottin(?).

No, that's the number that doesn't change.

Suppose I have:

slot=2
slotdef=2:7,6,5

That implies there should be three pins on the symbol, with pinseq=1,
pinseq=2, and pinseq=3. The pinnumbers will in this case be 7, 6, and
5, respectively.

For PCB layout, the usual thing is to make pinnumber visible, because
that's what the technician probing the board is going to want to
know. The slotting mechanism automatically changes the number that is
displayed in this case.

> You mentioned 'Pinlabel is for hierarchy'.  I am lost on that one,
> totally.

If you have a symbol that represents a subcircuit, not just a simple
component, the subcircuit schematic is identified by a source=
attribute in or attached to the symbol, and the connections between
internal nets and external "pins" are identified by pinlabel, using
refdes= attributes on "IO" symbols on the internal schematic.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx