Re: gEDA-user: taking issue with Symbol creation

On Jan 8, 2010, at 9:41 AM, phil wrote:

> John Doty wrote:
>> With the exception of slotted components, of course.
>
> So among pinnumber, pinlabel, and pinseq .... the symbol creator
> should
> make pinseq the visible attribute because it is this number that will
> get incremented by slottin(?).

Think of pinseq as the index to the array of pins on the symbol.
This array may be sparse, i.e. have missing indexes. e.g.  1, 2, 3, 7,
8, 9

Some flows use the array index to the symbol.
Example: your modeling a mosfet in a SO-8 package.
It has 8 pins, but it's gnucap model only has three nodes.

So pins 1 to 3 are the source, 4 is the gate, and 5 to 8 are the drain.

The model has node 1 as the source, node 2 as the drain, and node 3 as
the gate

pin 1, a source, would get pinseq 1
pin 4, the gate, would get pinseq 3
pin 5, a drain, would get pinseq 2

The rest of the pins would get arbitrary pinseq assignments, or none
at all your call.

> You mentioned 'Pinlabel is for hierarchy'.  I am lost on that one,
> totally.

When you make symbols that represent schematic sheets. so that you can
easily reuse common schematics.
I like them for multi-channel filters and amplifiers.

Good luck,

Steve