Re: gEDA-user: Symbol question - suggestions?

Den 2011-01-05 17:30:12 skrev Bert Timmerman <bert.timmerman@xxxxxxxxx>:

Hi,

-----Original Message-----
From: geda-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:geda-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Stefan Salewski
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 5:23 PM
To: gEDA user mailing list
Subject: Re: gEDA-user: Symbol question - suggestions?

On Wed, 2011-01-05 at 14:32 +0100, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> > A single 74_pwr.sym can not work for 14 and 16 pin parts, so I
> > really recommend to do not use a 74_pwr.sym at all, but
one for 14,
> > and one for
> > 16 pins devices. I think I called my one at gedasymbols
> > 74xx-14N-Pwr-1.sym.
>
> But the 74LV4066 is 14-pin with GND at 7 and Vcc at 14,
just like an
> ordinary 7400 and more.

The problem is: If you have a symbol called 74_pwr.sym people
may use it
-- some may use it for 14 pin devices, some may use it for 16 pin
devices. You may be smart enough to use it correctly -- other may not
always. If there are chances for confusion, then we should use more
specific files names.

JCL has a nice script generating power pins with pn numbers in the file/link
name:

http://www.luciani.org/geda/util/util-index.html#create-np-symbols

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.

As I've said before, I'm a beginner at this. I just tried to actually use the 74_pwr.sym in an existing scheme, but I couldn't get it numbered automatically correctly. What am I missing?

First I manually set the âdevice=â to match existing components, then I added ânumslots=â to match. IN some cases it's 4 and in some cases 6 (NOT gates for example), but no matter what I did it was numbered wrong, with a higher number than the existing components.

What am I missing? Should I edit the symbol itself or should I set something in the schema or what?

It was all so easy before, when I had the ânet=â thing in the component symbols, but someone said that that's not the way to go, for some reason. At least it was very easyâ

--
Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg