Re: gEDA-user: Bug triage

On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 20:07 +0100, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> Peter Clifton wrote:
>
> >> For full triage you have to be a member of the bug team (geda-bugs, or
> >> pcb-bugs). Else, you get no edit buttons next to the importance button.
> >> I'd expect, that this is configurable and the status can also be made
> >> inaccessible to simple users (Peter C., is this so?)
> >
> > No, you need to be a bug contact or owner of the project, and that is
> > not configurable.
>
> Hmm, I also meant the opposite: Is is it possible to make the status
> inaccessible to users not in a special group? Just in case some status
> edit war is creeping up...

I don't "think" it is possible to restrict access to statuses. A couple
are reserved for geda-bugs team only, such as "Triaged" and "WontFix".

If anyone starts an edit fight, we need to tell them to stop. If that
doesn't suffice - we'll have to refer it to the Launchpad admins to
investigate and possibly warn the user.

Here is the rationale from:
http://blog.launchpad.net/general/of-bugs-and-statuses

"Access Restrictions
For the most part, Launchpad is liberal as to who can set bugs to a
status; we would rather allow people to help garden the bug statuses
than force them to ask permission to do so. There are two statuses,
however, which are restricted to the projectâs bug contacts and
registrant: Wonât Fix, and Triaged.

      * Wonât Fix is restricted for a very specific reason: it is
        intended to represent an official denial, and therefore should
        really only be pronounced by a member of the project.
      * Triaged is restricted because it intends to capture confirmation
        by an accredited QA person who has verified that enough
        information has now been gathered about the issue that it can go
        straight into a developerâs work queue.
"

[snip]

> fair enough. But I don't see this as a reason to hide the existence
> of the triage policy from simple bug reporters.

No - it will help them to understand what status their bug has been
given, and is thus useful, even if they don't participate in triage
themselves.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,