Re: gEDA-user: PCB GTK version...

Dan McMahill wrote:
Leva wrote:

I think GTK 2.x runs pretty on 10 yeras old hardware, so one should not worry
about it.

What I recommend for slow hardware, is not using KDE, ore GNOME. What I use
on my laptop (and my desktop too), is a just a pure window managger
(enlightenment), and that's it. Your "slow" hardware will run fast!!!

Do gtk2 apps take any perfomance hit simply by running under gnome other than any resource hit you may take? I don't know why they would, but it does seem that we have reports of pcb being so much slower that it's too slow to use and other reports of the slow down not being so much.

Only thing I am aware of is that you must use gnome-settings-manager (or sth similar) to set theme and if you use pixmap themes then things can get pretty clumsy (both industrial and bluecurve aren't pixmap, but there are some pretty themes which are).

--
Regards,
Jakub Piotr CÅapa