Re: gEDA-user: new PCB

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 05:38:21PM -0400, harry eaton wrote:
> I don't agree. First off, there should be no need to clip in the first place
> because silkscreen should never cross solder areas in the first place.

There are situations you need to clip: when a name can't be placed due to
lack of space without touching the pads.

Sometimes you need to cram into confined space and what you need is that
it fits, not that the labels look pretty.

And also, when someone makes symbols with somehow predefined silkscreen,
and you make the pads bigger, because the wires of the components are thick,
then they suddenly become touching the silkscreen.

Also, I am using 100n and 1n blocking couples. Someone else has been using 100n
and 470opF blocking couples. With clipping I can put them closely together
because both pads are on the same wire.

In predefined components toggling from circular to square pin also can
cause intersection with the silk.

Cl<