Re: gEDA-user: RMS Waveform of a signal

Hello:

El 18/06/10 12:49, Dan McMahill escribió:
On 6/16/2010 10:43 AM, Rubén Gómez Antolí wrote:
[...]

I'm not completly sure but, these are true when the signal is regular
and periodic.

I'm not sure what definition you have in mind for "regular".

Sorry about, I'm so bad with english (you know) and try to make it simply (and in many times wrong).

Regular as without strange distorsions, and expresable with a "common" ecuation, like a sine wave, for example.

[...]

Sincerily, I thought that this are more usual, but there are very few
references on web and nothing in how to obtain in "free world" (at
least, I can't find it).

RMS is usually not defined as time-varying. Usually you'd just find

sqrt(average_over_time(signal^2))

and for something which is not periodic (like say a digitally modulated
carrier with random data), you just average over enough time to where if
you did it again later you'd get about the same answer.

That RMS() function in the paper just uses a shorter window. In other
words what they do is compute:

sqrt(low_pass_filter(signal(t)*signal(t))

My guess is that the lowpass filter they use for the measurement is just
a moving average meaning the impulse response is a rectangular pulse
with a width of say 1/10 or so of the width of the waveform display.

I'm afraid that I don't have idea how they implement these RMS, and possibly you are true. Perhaps we need the voodoo, how says Armin.

I can tell you that the method used in my last mail almost "fits" the graph that I want. Possibly is wrong in mathematical terms, and is most correct use the aproaching [1,2]U[3,4]U...[n-1,n] intervals and "expand" it by spline to all the time analysis.

In other way, the solution gave by Holger in Ngspice list, fits the graph wanted.

So in octave you'd just square the signal, use the filter() function,
and then sqrt. The trick is something like octave usually doesn't work
on non-uniformly sampled data like what you'd get out of a simulator.

Can I ask you how to use the filter() function? I see its needs a three vectors... and I want to test your method.

-Dan

Best regards.

Salud y Revolución.

Lobo.
--
Libertad es poder elegir en cualquier momento. Ahora yo elijo GNU/Linux,
para no atar mis manos con las cadenas del soft propietario.