Re: gEDA-user: PCB: Stale rat's nest?

Ales Hvezda wrote:

* Call up the Library window, and select a simple part like a 7400. Move the mouse over the gSchem window (and set your focus to that window if necessary). Without clicking to place the part onto the schematic, change the zoom level with z/Z. Now move the mouse a little bit. The part you had pointer is. The ghost will disappear the next time you scroll the screen, or

gschem does not support this sort of "transparent zooming/panning". I really ought to disable the ability to even do this.

I've wished for transparent zooming/panning more than once. I find the ability to pan/zoom while adding nets or copying parts or moving parts to be quite useful in some other tools I use.

* Changing the Zoom level should *never* cause zoom in/out events to be added to the undo history. It is handy to make changes to a circuit, discover an error, and be able to zoom in real close to some suspect region and do a few undo's to watch for some critical change to happen (I've done this many times in Eagle).

	This is a religious issue.  Different people have very different
	opinions on this.

I think I'm with Vanessa on this one....

* As expected, there are a fair number of parts in gSchem's library that are not in PCB's library. GSchem should not allow you to place a part that is not in PCB's library, or it should warn you first.

gEDA/gaf does not only target PCB. PCB is just one of many possible backends, so it will not limit available symbols to only PCB.

I'm wondering if this can somehow be addressed with my emacs-like "major mode" plans.

	Yes, gEDA/gaf does have a steep learning curve, but it does have
	reasonable documentation and tutorials.  The user is expected
	to spend a little time reviewing them.

I guess steep is relative. It could be better and I'd like to help it be better, but any one ever use concept and allegro? That should put the gEDA+pcb learning curve in perspective....

-Dan