gEDA-user: multi-part symbols [was: OGDI]

El miÃ, 15-03-2006 a las 22:55 -0300, Xtian Xultz escribiÃ:
[snip]
> What about a multi-part symbol?
> Like that:
> For example, I wish to draw a 4 pieces symbol, wich one is made by a 32 bits
> GPIO port, another with more 32 bits GPIO (it means that they will have 32
> pins), one with oscillator, reset, etc, and the last with the power pins.
> So, I draw the first, next to him, in the same design, the second, the third
> and the fourt.
> Then, to make gschem know who is who, I select the first block, place a
> special attribut telling him that this is the first block, and the reference
> (the 0,0 coordinate) is where I place the attribute. Then I made this for the
> second, the third, and the fourt.
> And then save the file as a unique symbol.
>
> When placing the component on the schematic, gschem draws the first block. The
> next component (i.e. the next click) will be the second block and so on.
> IIf I want to place a block from a part in another sheet, I select the symbol
> on the symbol select dialog, place the block. For example, if I wish to put
> the third block only, I select the first block that I placed, right click,
> and change the block, the same way used to change the slot.
> It would be nice if every block has a space for a commentary, so changing the
> block with the help of the commentary, like "GPIOS Port 0" and so on...
>
> What it looks like? Too hard to implement?

Somewhat... there are some boundary calculations, schematic splits,...

I think it would be easier to do the following:
  - get symbols inside symbols working. It doesn't seem so difficult...
  - modify a bit the symbol fileformat, so we can define to use, for
example, one symbol for slot 1, another one for slot 2 and 3, the last
one for slot 4 and the correspondence between symbol's pins and part's
pins.
  - Inside gschem, load the right symbol each time there is a slot
change (I think this is better than loading all symbols once at the
beginning).

This way you can even reuse your symbols for different devices...

Regards,

Carlos