Re: gEDA-user: PC emulator and HDL

Ahmad Sayed wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Hi John,
> Larry got my idea, he interprets it correctly.

I'm feeling dense today...a PC parallel port wire's fastest speed
is ~2.7MHz with no wait state mode, so you couldn't operate
at full speed talking to a SPI bus of a microcontroller...

Larry Doolittle wrote:
 > John -
 >
 > My interpretation is that there is hardware attached to
 > the PC parallel port that is modeled by (and maybe
 > synthesized from) HDL.  That hardware interacts with
 > software running on the computer.  The goal is to model
 > the combination of hardware and software, by making the
 > actual software interact with simulated hardware.

Ahmad and Larry,

Is your ultimate target HW/SW design a PC connected to the parallel port of another custom system board,
and thus a fairly low speed, (parallel port speed), design?
Is the convenient simulation done with actual software and a
iverilog simulation without going through the parallel port?

I'm not seeing "speedy circuit" value yet for lack of understanding...
Is the value in code testing at lower than normal operating speed?

Thanks,

John

--
Ecosensory   Austin TX
tinyOS devel on:  ubuntu Linux;   tinyOS v2.0.2;   telosb ecosens1