Re: gEDA-user: Thanks a million, and few small questions for a new user

I'm resending this because I never got back a copy when I sent it and I can't find it in the archive.(And I haven't received anything else from the list either). I logged into my mailing list user settings page and that worked so I must still be subscribed, but maybe my own MTA dropped the ball someplace. -Jesse

> The best time to do net-related work is in the 'o' key functions,

Should I be looking in "AddAllRats()" in rats.c, or ActionAddRats() in action.c, or elsewhere?

Noting that pressing 'o' could give the message "Congratulations" I grepped for that word and was lead to rats.c, and AddAllRats(),
which lead me to ActionAddRats().

Neither function are very big, and I don't see right off where I need to be working, and since it could be anywhere, I thought I'd better ask.

My goal is to make it so that instead of just highlighting a pin/via with a golden yellow ring (meaning that it needs a thermal), instead of that, it would just turns on the thermal.

Where would my best bet be to start?

It sounds like an easy fix/mod, but since I don't know the layout of the code it's taking some effort.
(But I tend to like big ground planes and lots and lots of vias to ground plane for each of my ICs and stuff, so not having to manually add every via would be super handy.)

Thanks very much,

-Jesse

DJ Delorie wrote:
If I were to see if I were able to make thermals automatic, where would
I start looking, and in which file?<br>

The best time to do net-related work is in the 'o' key functions,
since that's when we tag everything.  Other times, the individual
items in pcb don't just "know" what they're supposed to be connected
to.

PCB does often know when a pad should be connected to a polygon,
though, and uses a small circle to denote that.

Are thermals objects, or are they just a "Yes/No" (and size,layer) flag
for every pin?<br>

They're flags, one per layer per pin/via.