Re: gEDA-user: Launchpad

Peter TB Brett wrote:

This was me, IIRC.  And I wasn't, "Grumbling about the way things currently
are," I was merely pointing out things that should be taken into
consideration when people were discussing possible alternatives to SF.net
for issue tracking.  I'm sorry if my comments came across in the wrong way.

As far as you being a single point of failure, Ales, I think that it's
reasonable to let people know that the point was made in the context of a
discussion about how, in concept, private server(s) could be funded and
administered.

My  mirror of gedasymbols.org seems to function somewhat when DJ's servers are out.
I think it could be better with a little study of DNS, and maybe already is better.
I've left my DNS enabled since the last outage. Turning off DJ's server for a while
might show reponsive DNS and pages served from the mirror already.

That server cost $15/month before adding a mailman list and needing more memory.
Now with $30/month expense it handles a mailman list and chunks along fine
serving gedasymbols pages half the time -- DNS alternates between the two defined IP
addresses for gedasymbols.org.

It's available, or ones like it can be rented so the environment is less confusing
and controlled by Ales instead of shared.  The prices I mentioned are for a root
access account that runs OpenVZ, and Xen is also available for slightly different prices.

Peter TB Brett wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 08:05:31 -0400, Bob Paddock <graceindustries@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> I can't speak to Launchpad but during business hours, in the East Cost
>> time zone,
>> from hear near Pittsburgh SF is so slow it usually useless.
>
> This is, of course, one of my issues with SF.net.  In addition to the
> horrible interface, lack of features, etc.

I've been studying the python based web app framework called Django recently
and that plus zc.buildout, a python app for building collections of apps seems
very good for creating database driven apps for features you could want
for tracking projects, etc.  I don't even call myself an application developer,
but I'm making some headway with it :-)  More on that later,

John
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX