Re: gEDA-user: pcb DRC

Stephan Boettcher <boettcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> Well, I visually scanned the perimeter of the violating planes and did
>>> not find any problems, OTOH, Peter did see them, he said, so I need to
>>> look more carefully.
>>
>> I didn't verify whether they were in fact, too close, just that I could
>> make the violations go away by adjusting their clearances. It could be
>> that PCB is miss-calculating the gaps.
>
> Ok.  I will do that then, since there is no reason why they need to be
> so close (10 mils) in most cases, just to get my layout DRC clean before
> I submit them (on Monday?).

Yupp, when I make all plane to plane clearances at least 15 mil instead
of 10 mil, the DRC is happy.  10 mil between planes is not good enough
with 8 mil design rules.

There is actually a case left with 10 mil clearance where DRC does not
complain.

I tried to convert my layout into a minimal example.  Open the layout,
enlarge a poly on the power layer to reduce the clearance to 10 mil.  I
chose an edge where no vias nor lines are present.  DRC marks both polys.

Then I tryed to remove stuff from the board, but I got segfaults from
DRC.  When I remove all routing from the front layer, most vias and
pads become violations because they are too close but not connected any
more.  DRC is not pretty.  After I removed all parts and vias too, DRC
segfaults.  Actually, I could not reproduce the segfault, but I got:

*** glibc detected *** pcb: corrupted double-linked list: 0x08dc1fb8 ***

Then I gave up.

My boards are now both DRC clean.  On Monday we expect a delivery of
parts, so I can do some fitchecks on a 1:1 printoutm and then I'll have
them made.

Thanks for all the code, especially the DRC checker.

Thanks for the reviews.

--
Stephan