Re: gEDA-user: Magnetic bike operation

Cullen Newsom wrote:
What I like to use for demo-ing this is an aluminum pipe, and a very
strong magnet. I usually drop something non-magnetic first, to show
everyone that it isn't a gag. Then drop the magnet. It's fun to see
people put their hand out to catch it, and then watch them wait.

That sounds like a very portable demo compared to a physics circus
I saw with a swinging pendulum flat conductive plate going between
strong permanent magnets.

The fun thing to see with the pendulum
was substituting a plate pendulum with cuts about an inch apart
and seeing the braking effect be much less with about the same spacings
and same mass/density of materials.

JG