gEDA-user: Re: gEDA in wikipedia (englisch/german)

On Thu, 10 May 2007 21:18:46 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> Er, gEDA and PCB both run under Windows.  It's not easy, but it's
> possible.

There  is no windows binary to download and no installer to compile from
source on a windows machine either. To the vast majority of computer
users, including me, this translates into "does not run on win". I'd be
happy if there were windows version of gschem and pcb. At my university
day-job the absence of a windows version is a major obstacle to move from
eagle to geda. The amount of programming/tuning/scripting needed to
produce a windows versions of gschem-gnucap-ngspi-pcb-gerbv may be small
compared to writing the tool. Still, it is development, yet to be done.

>> > I think it should be stated that gEDA is basically a Unix/Linux/GNU
>> > application,
>>
>> ack.
>
> I'd rather not intentionally put ourselves in the "we're only for Linux"
> crowd.

The statement was about the application, not about the people.

>> Like almost any other linux application it can be run on windows with
>> the aid of cygwin or a virtual machine.
>
> PCB uses mingw - no cygwin, no virtual machine.

IMHO mingw and cygwin both provide a framework to let non native
applications run on windows. From a user point of view they are both
third party tools needed to make non windows application accept the
windows environment.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak