Re: gEDA-user: gschem with cairo rendering

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 12:25 -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

> >> I'll start doing the conversion, if I get a note, that a ttf
> >> version of
> >> the font would help get the cairo version of gschem up to speed.
> >
> > I honestly don't know. It won't help over the non gschem-font case,
> > which you've got checked out now. It may help acceptance of the cairo
> > code.
> >
> > If you know of some documentation to the .ttf format, I could knock
> > up a
> > conversion to run based on libgeda reading its own fonts and dumping
> > data.
>
>    I don't know anything about cairo, but the Freetype library makes
> short work of dealing with TrueType fonts.  I'd assume it wouldn't be
> too difficult to use it to generate the glyphs and hand them to the
> cairo subsystem.

There is a freetype backend for drawing text in Cairo, so it would be
easy enough. Last time I looked though, I couldn't see any way to
describe our own glyphs for Freetype to use. If we could make our .ttf
font, then I'd imagine freetype might be useful in passing it to cairo.
evince / poppler do this, making a temporary file (and then unlinking -
so you don't tend to see it) from embedded .ttf objects in the .pdf.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,