Re: gEDA-user: gschem with cairo rendering

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 20:41 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Fri, 02 May 2008 20:37:58 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:
>
> > Hmm, you might need to re- "git checkout origin/cairo_experiment", as
> > the fetch probably won't have updated your working checkout.
>
> I did like you said and cairo does like it should. No more funny arcs,
> clean redraw on mirror and a nicely rendered preview in in the library
> window. :-)
>
> There is a noticeable  speed penalty, though. I played with right-mouse-
> panning on one of my more populated schematics. The frame rate seems to
> be about a third compared to the hard edged version.

That's mostly due to text I'd expect, it seemed to be the major bottle
neck in my testing. I think there is an option to turn text into boxes
when panning, but I'd prefer to avoid it if possible.

Also, since there is no quad tree / r-tree of objects, when I ask to
redraw a particular region, every object is repainted (with drawing
clipped to the invalidated region). Fixing that is of course not going
to help with panning speed, we need glyph caching for that.

The speed will improve, but it will never be as fast as with non
anti-aliased gdk calls.

Playing with 3D cad software this week, I'm depressed to see just how
fast some kinds of drawing can be (hardware accelerated I guess).

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,