Re: gEDA-user: gschem with cairo rendering

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 20:32 -0400, Ales Hvezda wrote:
> [snip]
> >The speed will improve, but it will never be as fast as with non
> >anti-aliased gdk calls.

> 	... which if/when this branch gets merged, I would really like
> to see the cairo rendering be a compile (or runtime) switch (disabled by
> default; can change this later).  This will keep all the users who have
> slower machines happier.  Thanks,

Should be do-able, although not necessarily desirable from a code-volume
point of view. There is a lot of work before this is ready. I'm just
hoping to figure out how to do the cairo bit, and will then be able to
see how it merges as an optional feature.

(Its easiest when developing to throw away the old code to keep the
source files navigating and to ensure it isn't called anywhere.)

> 								-Ales
>
> PS. I tried the cairo branch on my pokey machines, and yes, the speed
> penalty is quite observable (even on small schematics).

If you're up for an adventure, I've rebased Behad Esfahbod's user font
branch against the latest cairo git, and am playing at getting it to
render gschem's text. Its not pretty yet, but appears to give a
significant speed gain).

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,