Re: gEDA-user: gschem with cairo rendering

On Sat, 2008-05-03 at 00:59 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Sat, 03 May 2008 00:15:54 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:
>
> > That's mostly due to text I'd expect, it seemed to be the major bottle
> > neck in my testing.
>
> Wouldn't this improve dramatically if gschem used some kind of real fonts
> instead of drawing every letter with little lines? If this is the case,
> we may just have to wait until cairo supports glyphs and font stuff.

Yes, that's exactly the right diagnosis. Cairo supports glyphs and
fonts, just not ones defined at run-time by the user of its API. (IE.
gschem can't yet describe to cairo what it thinks the various glyphs
should look like),

I've got code nearly working which uses cairo and a normal system font
with gschem to render text, and some "nearly working" but a little hacky
code which works with the new "userfont" API under development for
cairo, so we can keep our existing font whilst using cairo text
rendering).

The main bugs in both are lack of support for gschem's variously
rotated / mirrored text angles.

> > I think there is an option to turn text into boxes
> > when panning, but I'd prefer to avoid it if possible.
>
> Just tried the little box option with this line in my gschemrc:
> 	(fast-mousepan "enabled")
> This does indeed speed up panning dramatically. However it is an ugly
> hack and doesn't help with zoom.

Unfortunately, the glyph caching won't help with zoom either, since the
first time you render a glyph at a given size, it will be slow.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,