Re: gEDA-user: gschem with cairo rendering

On Sat, 03 May 2008 15:10:14 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:

> Yes, that's exactly the right diagnosis. Cairo supports glyphs and
> fonts, just not ones defined at run-time by the user of its API. (IE.
> gschem can't yet describe to cairo what it thinks the various glyphs
> should look like),

I couldn't care less for the font currently used by gschem. It is just
plain ugly when zoomed in. If it were replaced by a real font, the only
important property is a compatible font metrics.

> Unfortunately, the glyph caching won't help with zoom either, since the
> first time you render a glyph at a given size, it will be slow.

A glyph like "a" is reused many times on a view with lots of text. So it
has to be rendered only once and can be copied for the rest of the
instances. I'd expect glyph caching to help in this situation. If the
current view contains only little text, speed is no issue in the first
place.

Spring-time greetings,

---<(kaimartin)>---
--