Re: gEDA-user: Strange behavior with input-1.sym and output-1.sym?

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 12:58 -0600, John Doty wrote:

>  From my perspective, your use of these symbols to name nets seems
> strange. I think of these as hierarchical connection devices. To name
> a net it is simpler and less confusing to use the netname= attribute
> rather than a symbol, I think. But it is again unclear what these
> symbols were intended for by their original authors.

At the beginning the existence on net and netname attribute was very
confusing for me.

Now I am using many in- out- io- and power-symbols with attributes like
net=3.3V-plus:1 or net=ADC_D0 or Digital_In_Enable:1.

Using such symbols makes it easy to move these nets around -- moving
from one FPGA pin to another for better layout, or moving to another pin
of a microcontroller because the pin used prior is needed for something
other. Or for duplicating netnames.

I think I can not do this with netname attribute in such an easy way.
And I think it may happen that one deletes a net while modifying a
schematic without noticing that one has deleted the netname= too.

My impression was that attribute graphical=1 was for devices which
should be not mounted on PCB, i.e. obsolete parts, external temperature
sensors...

Of course a very precise definition of attributes would be very
important.

Best regards

Stefan Salewski