Re: gEDA-user: Adding attributes to gschem symbols

Hi Stefan,

Sorry, forgot to set composer to plain text ......

Edit / Update component has basically the same effect as closing and
restarting gschem: it updates the graphical parts of a symbol but not
the text attributes.

If I enclose the text attributes in curly brackets in the symbol file
(don't know how to do that via the GUI) then they do all get updated
by ep but then they don't show up in the edit attribute window even if
I put (promote-invisible "enabled") in the gafrc file.

Then the only way I can see the content is if I select the instance
and then go down symbol and do en (en at the schematic is too
cluttered).

I suppose that's not too much of a problem provided attributes in
curly brackets can (a) be seen in gattrib (don't know because I
haven't tried this program yet) and (b) whatever program that's used
to generate a bill of materials can detect the attribute names and
extract the value information from the relevant attributes (again,
don't know because I haven't tried this program yet).

And of I'll have to put all these carefully set up and checked
components in a library where the user (i.e. me on a dim day!) can't
forget and accidentally edit the symbol in the schematic then save it
back into the library ....

So somewhere like /usr/share/gEDA/sym/local would be the place to put them.

   Andy.

2009/5/11 Stefan Salewski <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>>    mosfet has moved to the new position but footprint info has not
>>    changed, it still says SO8.
>
> Is Edit/Update Component what you are looking for?
>
> Please note: You send your text twice, I think one is HTML.
> Redundancy should be not necessary.

Cheers,

         Andy.

Signality Solutions