Re: gEDA-user: HW vs SW tools evolution

John Griessen wrote:
> How has SW design gotten farther?  Probably it's just that the development of tools is so close to the development
> of apps for sale is all I can think of.

This is an excellent point. It's a lot easier for someone in their spare
time to develop usable software. It's a lot more expensive to develop a
usable chip. I can sit in my office and for the cost of a computer and
an internet connection code up an embedded software project in my spare
time that brings in some cash. I can't build an IC.

Imagine how difficult it would be to develop software if every time you
wanted to test your code you had to spend thousands of dollars and wait
three months.

FPGA development tools are just now getting to the point where this
isn't such a PITA, but even so the proprietary nature of the bare metal
will interfere with open source ethos.

The true revolution won't come until someone can build a 3D printer that
can print a copy of itself.

Eric