Re: gEDA-user: fritzing

I agree it's a waste of time to port gEDA to windows, and that a
cross-platform library is the way to go.  I've used SDL a bit, but I
wouldn't pick it for this.  I'd (personally) pick Qt, and recommend
porting gEDA to Qt, so there'd be one unified code base, instead of a
separate codebase for unix+X11 and for (no matter how much code they
have in common).  I've done Qt apps on windows/Linux/OS X, and it
works seamlessly on all 3 platforms.  I prefer it to Win32 or MFC apps
on windows, and it's also my favorite way to write linux apps, even
disregarding cross-platform requirements for either platform.  I tried
making cross-platform gtk apps, and basically gave up, and instead
cross-compiled windows apps from a linux box (something that worked
okay for me, but doesn't help people who are windows-only to develop
the apps).  If you try to port gEDA to windows, you basically will do
all the work of creating a cross-platform toolkit, and have to
maintain it for ever: why not use an existing one?

I'm not saying you should port to Qt or asking someone to do so, or
complaining that gEDA doesn't use Qt now.  Just offering advice on
what to use, if your goal was to make a GUI app run seamlessly on
linux/OS X/windows.

- Miles

PS: I use gEDA on cygwin.  I have a cygwin mirror at work, and I made
a cygwin package for gEDA, as well as making a modified cygwin
installer so that coworkers can run the installer to automatically
install all the packages I think they need from our local mirror,
including my gEDA package.  It was a PITA to set up, and I doubt many
people at companies even an order of magnitude bigger than where I
work will devote the resources to do something like that.  And even
still after all my work, I couldn't get my package to conform to
cygwin's package acceptance criteria, so I never tried to push it
upstream.  Part of the reason was because I couldn't quite figure out
how to get gEDA to build properly, and I had to do ugly hacks to make
it run.  Someone more familiar with gEDA and/or cygwin than I am would
have to make the package for it to get accepted upstream, or I'd have
to spend more time figuring stuff out, and I (sadly) haven't gotten
around to it.