Re: gEDA-user: font problem in 1.6.0

On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 11:48 -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On May 4, 2010, at 10:03 AM, Peter Clifton wrote:
> >>    In the meantime I've narrowed down the Pango problem to a major
> >> release.  Under OS X 10.4, v1.24 works while v1.25 fails due to the
> >> CoreText requirement.          /\
> >                                  |____ Works? or builds?
> >
> > When you say 1.24 works... do you mean it renders the text correctly?
>
>    Oh crap I'm sorry Peter, I realize now how that must've looked.
> Pango 1.24 builds correctly under OS X, but I still get an inch-high
> font on the screen that doesn't scale with zoom.  FYI Pango 1.28.0
> exhibits the same behavior. (and builds correctly, obviously)

Can you try git HEAD pango as well please.. there is a tantalising
sounding commit which has not made any release yet:

    [cairo] Scale font metrics to user space

    Bug 457990 - font metrics are not converted to user space in cairo backend

Of course.. it is working on Linux (and OS X when build in a particular
way), so this would only be useful if this bug happens to be affecting
the OS-X native back-end (assuming that is what you're building for).

Are you building with Quartz / ATSUI or freetype font rendering (as you
would get on Linux)? (Pango and Cairo need to match in this regard).

Are you building to run on the X11 server in OS X?

Try building pango with --with-x

(I think cairo needs to be build compatibly first)

--enable-xlib=yes --enable-xlib-xrender=yes --enable-quartz=no
--enable-quartz-font=no --enable-quartz-image=no --enable-ft=yes
--enable-fc=yes

(This ought to get you building a X11 "like" cairo).

I'd be really curious if you can get something working, if you could
also nail down what causes it to break again.

Btw.. I don't think you need to rebuild GTK each time, but I might be
wrong. Give it a try without first if you can.

Best wishes,

Peter C.

--
Peter Clifton