Re: gEDA-user: How do I mark the connection point on a pad?

On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 19:26 +0200, Armin Faltl wrote:
> kai-martin knaak wrote:
> > These two ways use different sets of defaults. Unfortunately, the defaults
> > used by gsch2pcb are hard coded somewhere in the source. By contrast, pcb
> > reads the defaults from its config files in ~/.pcb/settings, or
> > ~/.pcb/preferences
> >
> This is just me with a plea: I already hate the number of
> .metoo-directories in my home-directory.
> pcb belongs to the gEDA suite, so I ask to move the most authoritative
> user preference file
> into the .gEDA directory and name it pcbrc or maybe
> .gEDA/pcb/preferences etc.
> If there are undocumented settings in gafrc, merging these into a single
> file from several
> applications appears questionable to me.
>
> My 2 cents on this,

Even these are legacy locations now (in the brave new XDG world). A new
app would use ~/.config/$appname/ for settings ~/.cache/$appname for
files which can be deleted without loss, and ~/.local/share/$appname for
actual data storage which should not be deleted.

(The idea is that deleting the .config dir brings things back to default
settings without loosing any data).

BBC iPlayer appears to use ~/.appdata to be awkward.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,