Re: gEDA-user: font problem in 1.6.0

On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 20:44 +0200, Armin Faltl wrote:

> As former strong supporter of premade widget libraries with all the major
> projects going cairo (isn't this close to Babel?), I even thought about
> refurbishing the old internal widget system with some cheap but cool looking
> bit-blit based buttons. BTW, cairo is claimed to oh so hardware accelerated,
> but OpenGL is missing - what is accelerated then?

Cairo -> XRender -> HW accelerated operations.

There are various work-in progress cairo back-ends which use GL (not
glitz), and DRM (direct HW acceleration) for particular graphics chips.

Forget acceleration for a moment (assuming performance is sufficient, or
will come).. but cairo's main benefit is its absolutely pleasurable to
use API makes it incredibly easy to code quite complex graphics.

Granted, cairo has its limitations. That is why I (some time back)
shelved my attempt at cairo rendering for PCB - for that task, the
performance wasn't good enough..

Instead, I perceived with GL, producing my PCB+GL branch (still not yet
merged, sorry!) which draws upon efficient hardware operations for tasks
such as polygon display and translucency.
               ^
               |__(Although I did steal various rasterisation code from
                   cairo to process our polygons into GL primitives!)

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,