Re: gEDA-user: How do I mark the connection point on a pad?

Peter Clifton wrote:
[snip]
<not a proposal>
Perhaps ~/.local/share/gEDA/sym/* would be a decent location to stash
locally created symbols on a per-user basis? (Works so long as any
transferable final output can embed the symbols with the schematic
file / project directory).
</not a proposal>

IMO this should stay a non-proposal - rationale:

The private symbols are data, the user is directly working with and on.
If all applications were handling data like above, ~/.local/... would start looking
like maybe ~/... is looking today, so nothing is gained, but with default
"explorer" settings, the user can not even see his/her working data.

Having a short look at how our friend Bill G. handles this, since Windows NT
there is something like home directory of a user. The folder where the application
data and documents go is predefined to be a sub-folder of the home directory
while the home directory itself is occupied by invisible and sometimes strange
stuff.
I think the use of "~/.local/..." would be a step to further alienate the user to
his data - to make it belong to obscure mechanisms instead of him.
Personally I don't like the habit of current mail readers to hide MY mails
in '~/.thunderbird/q64z3gvg.default/Mail'. I liked it much more when they
were in '~/mail'. What the "q64z3gvg" do the designers want to express by
this? that I'm just a number to them? Nice that I'm the default reader in my
homedirectory - who else reads them?

Regards, Armin