Re: gEDA-user: PCB: simple FreeType fonts implementation -- update?

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Colin D Bennett <colin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 May 2011 12:14:45 -0400
> DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > IIRC my primary objection to the patch-as-was was, "where do we store
> > the TTF files?" ÂPCB has no way to store binary blobs with the board,
> > and if you don't keep them together you risk someone else getting
> > different results. ÂHowever, perhaps we could keep both "plain text"
> > and "TTF text" as different text types, so those who value pretty over
> > self-contained can get some love ahead of time?
>
> Can we just store it as BASE64-encoded or something blob for now?
> Yeah, it might take 200 KB+ to store a font, but that's a drop in the
> bucket compared to disk storage capacity these days. ÂIt's not as if I
> have 100 000 .pcb files Âon my disk either so I'm not at all concerned
> about size.

BASE64 seems like a good way to go. The side by side option would work
well if you included a hash along with the file name. PCB would
provide a warning or error if the hash did not match and you would be
given the option of updating the hash.

For those who don't want huge files with a ton of BASE64 text, I would
recommend using an include of the PCB file containing the BASE64
encoded fonts.