Re: gEDA-user: Reinventing the wheel

Geoff Swan <shinobi.jack@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> > As has been discussed many times, this cannot be fixed, since there is no
>> > narrow, common use case for gEDA.

It can be fixed, ...

> Actually I think gEDA is not too bad for components/symbols really. What the
> default library lacks, gedsymbols often has. With a little bit more
> promotion of gedasymbols I think people wouldn't have such an issue.

The way to promote gedasymbols and to fix the default library is to
remove the default library, except for a small set of very generic
symbols.

I do use some symbols from the defaul library, generic resistors,
capacitors, transistors, switches, but nothing else. Basically only the
very generic drawings.

The first thing a new user shall (have to) learn is making symbols, and
(for a pcb workflow) footprints, or (for a simulation workflow) models,
because, as John said, it cannot be done right for everybody, so we
shall not try, and if it were possible, nobody wants to to the work
anyway.

--
Stephan