Re: gEDA-user: Reinventing the wheel

     We're going over old ground now...
     [1]http://www.delorie.com/pcb/component-dbs.html
      "First, in gschem/gattrib, the the GUI has a way of querying the
      database for potential values of attributes - such as choosing
      variants, picking parts from official part lists, sticking to
      on-hand inventory, etc."

   Agreed on both counts.
   Default footprints would be misleading - having some choice and an easy
   way to select seems the most logical compromise. I have a bunch of
   symbols I've created myself where I put a footprint attribute in but
   set it TBD - because I know that depending on project I'll be switching
   between through hole and SMT...