Re: gEDA-user: gnetlist

On 05/30/2011 09:35 PM, John Doty wrote:
On May 31, 2011, at 6:35 AM, John Griessen wrote:

I'd like the first definition
of what gnetlist does be, "Output any data it takes in, in the same format,
with lost spatial position information allowed, but keeping all other data intact."
I think the reader should preserve *all* of the information in a .sch file. There are several reasons:

1. Net connectivity depends on spatial information. But one approach doesn't fit all needs here. Right now, we have a simple minded netlister that reduces the net geometry in the schematic to a netlist model in which a net is topologically a single point. But suppose we start putting attributes on net segments ("this segment must carry 10A")? Shouldn't a back end for a layout tool that can handle this be able to see this, figure it out?
+1 from me. Gate drive sub-circuits in power designs come to mind, as well as Kelvin connections.