Re: gEDA-user: GerberViewr gerbv

>>> Now if one could combine the OCR capabilities of some other Linux
>>> programs with gerbv that would be really sweet ...
>>
>> Pardon my ignorance, but exactly what featureset are you describing by
>> "OCR capabilities", and what would you like to see gerbv do?
>>
> P.S.: What I wrote in the previous post applies even more if you are
> asked to check someone else's layout. Often all you can use is the
> Gerber file set because that person has used a CAD program you do not
> have at your disposal.

Thanks.

Several months ago, another feature request appeared for gerbv.  In
that case, there was interest in finding the centriod of each part by
doing a pattern match on the top and bottom metal layers, locating
footprints which looked like common footprints, and then outputting
the location of each footprint's centriod.  This is a similar pattern
match functionality, except this is to find the location of refdeses
on the silk layers.  The desire is similar:  You have a set of Gerbers
from some 3rd party tool, and you need to find where parts lie.

So, ummmm, any ideas how much one would have to pay in order to get
this type of functionality from a commercial CAD tool?  CAM350 and
Valor come to mind, but I don't know if they support this feature.
Also, if they do, they're really expensive.  Do any of the low end
Gerber tools support this feature?  Which ones?

I have no agenda in asking.  Rather, I am just interested in knowing
what market niche this feature belongs to.

Cheers,

Stuart