Re: gEDA-user: GerberViewr gerbv

Ales Hvezda wrote:
> [snip]
>> P.S.: What I wrote in the previous post applies even more if you are
>> asked to check someone else's layout. Often all you can use is the
>> Gerber file set because that person has used a CAD program you do not
>> have at your disposal.
>>

> And just to be fair, I'll ask the same question I just asked in a
> different thread:
>
> If you really must have this feature, have you considered paying
> somebody (either one of the gerbv developers or an independent
> consultant) to generate a patch to add this functionality to your copy
> of gerbv?  I would expect that you will probably have to pay an
> industry standard consulting rate to get something non-trivial like
> this developed (integration into gerbv mainline is probably more
> complicated since the gerbv developers would have to agree with all
> the changes).
>
> And before we all go into flame mode, please read:
>
> http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:faq#tool_xxx_is_missing_critical_feature_yyy_what_can_i_do
>
> Okay, I'm done pointing out the obvious (today),
>
> -Ales
>
> PS. I don't speak for the gerbv developers either. :-)

I've read that in the other thread :-)

Yes, paying for mods is one option and one can, for example, hire folks
from a university for that. Back when I studied for my masters I was
always looking to make a buck. But hardware design in my case. Anyhow,
it was just a suggestion for the Linux community. In the MS-Windows
world you can already have Gerber viewers with OCR. In most cases that
will be the non-share versions though, usually around $500. For a
business that would be better than writing one from scratch.

While I've got your attention I wanted to express my thanks for starting
this whole gEDA project. Currently I am still using Cadsoft but I wanted
to try it out and it looks quite good. But it'll be a long way for me
because first I have to learn the ropes of Linux. Heck, currently I
don't even know where the symbol files would be for backup purposes.
Feels like learning a new language but I've done that before, so should
be feasible ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/