Re: gEDA-user: Some kind of library manager and hierarchical netlisting

On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 06:04 -0800, Steve Meier wrote:
> Peter,
>
> I believe that gnetlist takes in a hierarchical series of schematics and
> flattens the schematics into a flat netlist that may then be exported
> into a number of flat formats. In other words the net has been flattened
> before reaching the backend. Hierarchical information is retained in
> reference designators and in net names.

You are, of course, correct. IIRC, there were a few workarounds for the
VHDL / spice backends, where individual pieces were netlisted
separately. Its been a while since I looked, and certainly those cases
are non-optimal, even if it is possible to retain hierarchy.

What I should have said..

Hierarchical input is accepted by gnetlist.

Gnetlist's output is always flattened.

There are possibly some workarounds available, such as net-listing
individual pieces separately, but we (gEDA) really ought to work on
doing better.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,