Re: gEDA-user: opamp slew rate limiting

Hi Gene,

Some more things to think about as sanity checks.

Following on from Peter's question, what is the gain of your amplifier
(including any effects of the source resistance if it's an inverting
amplifier configuration)?

You say that "The gain is sufficiently large that the opamp is driven
into saturation by the sine wave" but by how much is it driven into
saturation?

Just near the peaks and troughs or very close to the zero crossings?

As has been alluded to already, the slew rate of the opamp is usually
specified for the device operating in the linear region. If it is
being driven hard into saturation then there will be some recovery
time before the output can drag itself. out of saturation as the
signal changes direction.

Don't be misled by the Large signal step response diagram in the TI
datasheet (top right p6 June 2004). The output is only swinging +/-10V
from a +/-15V supply so it is not in saturation.

Another potential gotcha is how much stray capacitance is there
between the output and the inverting input of the device? Have you got
an accidental integrator?

Cheers,

         Andy.

http://signality.co.uk