Re: gEDA-user: powermeter results!

Also if a bit OT

> DJ Delorie wrote:
> > No surprise, computers and related electronics accounted for a third
> > of my electric bill.  I'm working on that, but that's the "cost of
> > doing business".
>
> Are the always on computers close together?  As they deserve it, you could
replace ordinary computers with ones that
> run on a DC bus, allowing them to be fanless mostly, and make/buy an efficient
power supply for the DC bus voltage.

> Then you could integrate the DC bus power supply into your HVAC control
system so it exchanges heat with outside
> or ground temp in summer and adds to building heat in winter.

Another point to save, if your computers are running 24/7 and mainly provide
server functions and you are not frighten to run Linux, which I guess is the
case for a gEDA reader,

a) just buy a bigger machine and use virtualisation technologies like XEN,
Virtualbox, VMWare, etc.

b) get some of this little ARM based boards or Atom based boards to replace
your hungry desktop processors by something more greeny (e.g. check for the
beagle board on the web which consumes only 1.5 W). This yet tiny but powerful
systems can normally serve well all home and small office network and multimedia
stuff and requires less power in full operation mode then many desktop
computers in suspend mode.

c) Computers which does not need to run 24/7 but always on because of the
discomfort to shut them down and power them up will benefit greatly from wake-
on-lan and wake-up-timers (mostly found in bios settings).

Greetings

Torsten