Re: gEDA-user: powermeter results!

> > and you are not frighten to run Linux,
>
> Heh.  No, I'm not :-)

That's nice to hear :)

> > a) just buy a bigger machine and use virtualisation technologies like XEN,
> > Virtualbox, VMWare, etc.
>
> For security reasons, I'd rather not combine my public-facing server
> with my internal file server.  For performance reasons, the chess
> server has its own fast dual-cpu box.

Actually unlike you are a paranoid security geek, mature solutions like XEN do
not differ from what is used at prof. domain and root server providers.
Unlikely that someone is able to hack through your xen-webserver to access
your xen-fileserver.

> I have WOL configured for my work machine, but the other 24/7 machines
> really need to be on 24/7.

Depending on the task you might like to play around with sending hdds to
suspend and other power management stuff...
I applied once some of the stuff known for laptops to one of my home servers
and it save a bit power.
Going crazy you can replace the often R/W-access folders of your system with
mount point to a RAM-disk and save even more power... however with tricks like
that you might risk data loose.

Greetings,

Totti