Re: gEDA-user: powermeter results!

> d) Replace an obsolete server with a cast-off-for-mechanical-reasons
> laptop.  I'm thinking of cracked cases or screens.  You get quiet,
> low power, small footprint, and a built-in UPS.  And its price ranges
> from small (*cough* ebay *cough*) to "free".  (You're welcome, Steve)

I did this a few times. It could work out nice. However, defect laptops with
low or nearly no value are already somehow old.
Even if performance is not the primary target, that would include that the
hardware is already somehow exhaust and at the end of lifetime. Personally, I
noticed that this is more true for laptops then for desktop PCs. I assume the
constant heat conditions inside a laptop are going to kill it over time and
the fan system is not designed for 24/7 operations. I think if you like to
operate an older laptop 24/7 you have to improve cooling.
I used two cracked laptops as a low budget "server" and both died rather fast.
As for the UPS, the Li-Ion batteries died first ;), they are not considered for
long shelf live. That's the reason you still find NiCd or lead acid batteries
in UPS systems.

That means not it isn't a good idea to use a laptop, it could be a nice cheap
"all-in-one"-solution, just some precaution have to be taken into advance...
1. don't take models (often no-name brands) which are known to become very
hot...
2. improve cooling somehow (e.g. remove all unneeded stuff and remove the
internal keyboard, add a low rotating big fan (low noise) to it...

Greetings

Torsten